"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 9 May 2010

Something Big

I've started work on a new linocut, which if it works will be my submission to this years Leeds Open, to be held at Leeds City Art Gallery in August.

I've been giving some thought as to what I would submit, and decided on working up a linocut from the watercolour below of Malham Cove. I'm also working a on a larger scale than usual, about twice my normal size. Mainly because the subject is a bit fiddly and the carving ought to be easier if I work bigger. Well thats the plan anyway!



Starting from the watercolour, I work up a cartoon to the size of the linoblock. Before simplifying the forms and colours. Based on the drawing I plan on using 7 colours; a warm and then a cool pale grey, blue, light green a darker grey, dark green and then a final dark. This may change as the cliff face might need another colour, and the stream in the foreground may require an extra blue.





Finally I get the first colour printed. So far so good.



2 comments:

Sherrie York said...

Yes, so far so good! What is this new, bigger size? (I'm on a biggish one at the moment, too.)

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Sherrie

Size is about 10 inches x 15 inches which is big by my usual standards. Anyway, it seems a big area to cover when trying to print with a baren!