"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 2 May 2010

Hornsea

Safely Ashore, Hornsea.
Reduction Linocut (5 Colours).
150mm x 240mm.
Edition of 5.

Finally finished the linocut begun a few weeks ago. A couple of years ago I spent a pleasant afternoon sitting in the sun on the sea wall at Hornsea over on the east coast watching the fishing cobles returning.

Like Filey further up the coast, Hornsea doesn't have a harbour, so the boats have to be floated onto their trailers and then dragged up the beach by tractor.

This isn't my normal choice of subject but I've enjoyed the challenge of this print and with enough drawings to make a couple more prints, I may do a little series of them.

4 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

I really like the print, and I also like the fact that it is a record of a traditional way of life.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Keith.

Yes, the historical aspect of the way of life appealed to me too when I was making the print.

Katka said...

Whether this is your choice of subject or no, you've done a marvelous job of evoking a mood once again. Very nice to see this finished and finished so nicely :-)

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Thanks Katka

I'm enjoying doing a variety of subject matter at the moment. I seem to have got away from the original wildlife concept of the blog. I might have to rename it the;

you never know what I'll do next blog!