"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 22 January 2012

Littondale Panorama


Finally finished this print. The stage above is with the first green added and the one below with the second green.


And finally a dark to bring it all together

Littondale Panorama
10 Colour reduction Linocut. 240mm x 362mm.


I have mixed feelings about this print. I experimented with the cutting in the foreground to try and give some feel of the grasses rather than using my more usual 'flat colour' technique. The effect I was after is there but I think I held back a little on the cutting. I should have really gone for it! Something to try next time.

4 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

I like the cutting, it's very effective, but I think you could easily do too much of it. Maybe one or two more of the grasses could have gone up over the trees.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Keith

Yes I didn't want to overdo it. Which I think is why I held back off the cutting. I was aware that I could end up making it look like two different pictures, if there was too much difference in the cutting styles between the foreground and background.

Ian Phillips RCA said...

HI Stuart,

Really like the sense of distance in the print. Clouds especially have a lovely weight and feeling of form to them.
10 layers is a lot of layers and a lot work, oil based inks? what paper? and do you ink up the whole area or do little spot inks for certain colours??

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Ian
It wasn't ment to have this many layers, the original plan was to use 7 colours!
If I can get away with it I will only ink up the areas I need at each layer. However with this one I pretty much inked up all the paper for each layer. Its printed on a heavywieght Winsor and Newton smooth cartridge paper which stands up well to being rubbed with the baren. I have a batch of Hosho paper but I've been having problems with it sticking to the block. The inks are waterbased Nerchau Inks.