"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Year

I know its supposed to have been a holiday, but I couldn't sit around for a week doing nothing. So after two days of enforced idleness over Christmas, I managed to steal a few hours in between entertaining visitors and making visits ourselves to relatives.

I'm working bigger than I normally do on this print, actually twice as big. As the prints are too big for my scanner I'm having to photograph the stages as I go along. For a change lets start with the cartoon, scaled up from the original A5 sized pen and ink field sketch. This is a classic view from the Yorkshire Dales, looking down Littondale from the moor above Halton Gill towards Wharfedale in the far distance.


First colour is a warm cream.



Followed by a darker tone made by adding a little purple to the previous colour.


Next up, a pale yellow/green for the freshly cut fields in the centre of the valley.


I'm not sure exactly how many more colours this will require, my original idea was to use eight colours but it will probably end up being ten or eleven.

No comments: