After some weeks of dithering I have finally begun working on the mezzotint plate that I had finished preparing about 6 weeks ago. There is so much time and effort that goes into rocking the plate, that I am reluctant to commit to working on it until I am sure about what I am going to do. This is only a small 100mm x 150mm plate but it still took 12 hours to rock it completely.
This is the state of play after a couple of hours scraping and burnishing. It's quite difficult to get the lighting right so that it shows up in the photograph but I think you'll get the idea.
After a bit more burnishing I ran off a proof.
Clearly a bit more work is needed.