Saturday, 14 June 2014
An Image - of sorts
Just in case you were thinking that I'd given up on the Mezzotint and sold the plate in for scrap, here is the first proof. In my usual dis-organised manner I had decided to take on a print that not having a press I couldn't actually print. So thank you to Lisa Moore for pulling these couple of proofs from my plate for me. (Have a look at Lisa's own excellent work by following the link to her website on the right).
So what have we got. Well, considering I haven't got a clue what I am doing, the image is there but it's all very blurry and still very dark in places. (Think badly developed black and white photograph). Actually the bits that I thought I had over burnished on the plate are the darkest parts of the proof, Which just goes to show how difficult it is to gauge what the printed image will look like from what can be seen on the plate. I suppose this will come with experience.
So it's back to the burnishing to sharpen up the definition and bring out the details in the gate, wall and barn in the middle distance.