Sunday, 28 April 2013
First colour on the next print in the Don valley series. Not much to look at yet but this should be a relatively simple print in around six colours.
The second colour finishes the sky and already the subject matter is well defined.
The third colour adds a grey onto the castle walls. From here on we can start adding darker tones.
Sunday, 21 April 2013
With the addition of a purple/brown and then a slightly darker tone of the same colour onto the birds and foreground branches, the composition becomes clearer.
another dark starts to pull it all together. Just one more to go:
190mm x 169mm
This print was made using just white, yellow ochre and cadmium red (mixed to make the orange) and purple made from a mix of cadmium red and ultramarine blue.
Sunday, 14 April 2013
The next three colours work on building up the sky. All use the same initial orange mix gradually darkened with increasing amounts of purple.
Once the sky is finished I print a pale grey over the remaining block. With apologies for the shine from the still wet ink.
The pale grey is followed by a darker version of the same colour. By now the subject should be apparent.
I think another three colours should see the print finished.
Sunday, 7 April 2013
Rainy day on the Dutch River.
12 colour reduction linocut. 252mm x 364mm
Edition of 7.
As mentioned in the previous post I finally got this print finished last weekend. I started out with 10 prints but lost three in the process. Although registration was a little bit more difficult than usual it wasn't the cause of the rejected prints. I have been using some quite thin (probably too thin), Hosho paper for this print and all three were lost when they stuck to the block and tore as I pulled them away.
Having finished this print I started on the next straight away....
First colour a pale yellow over the entire block.
Next a pale orange.