"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Tuesday 2 July 2013

Dithering

Had a bit of a hiccup with the latest print, mainly due to going too dark too soon.


This greyish green although right for the moorland grasses showing through the snow, is way too dark for the lake in the foreground. The water was frozen with a slight dusting of snow across the surface of the ice, with a few blue melt water pools reflecting the sky. After cutting away the areas of colour that I wanted to keep I re-inked the block with a paler grey.


Still too dark so I tried again.


Better this time. Although still darker than I wanted, so I cut some shapes out of it  and printed again with a paler grey.




 This is closer to the effect that I intended. I was tempted to play around with it again but decided to leave it as it is and moved on to the next colour.


A brown for the woodland on the hillside beyond the lake. 


No comments: