"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 15 May 2011

Frustration


Grey Mares Tail (study)
Mixed Media. 350mm x 270mm

I've been trying to do something with this waterfall for the last 12 months. I've made watercolour studies, I have an unfinished acrylic on canvas propped against the wall. I know there is a print here somewhere but I just can't get it all to come together in a composition that I am happy with. It probably needs another trip out to visit the waterfall and some more field sketches. So after a fruitless week messing about with it I finally started something else....

Colour 1. A very pale cream.


Then a pale violet grey


This should be recognisable for any rock climbers or anyone familiar with Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales.

And then the first pale blue.

No comments: