"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Tuesday 18 August 2009

Southerness Lighthouse - Linocut

Southerness Lighthouse. 6 Colour reduction Linocut. 257mm x 170mm. Edition of 5

Got the final colour printed, although lost three prints along the journey. Two of them through sloppiness on my part in positioning the paper in the registration marks before printing. With the third print I got distracted and left the paper on the inked block too long and ended up sticking it to the lino! I did cheat with the railings though and brushed them in afterwards with a No 1 watercolour brush.

2 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

I prefer the stronger colours in the acrylic version. Did you plan to make this less saturated.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

No, I printed the blue too pale, I should have reprinted it darker but I left it as it was, and then printed the brown too dark. So there isn't enough of a contrast between that and the black. Another lesson learned!