"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 15 March 2009

Three colours down but not entirely happy

I've begun work on a new reduction lino cut and am experimenting with water based Inks rather than the usual oil based ones. As I have to share work space with my two small children (ages 4 & 6), who are both keen to poke their fingers everywhere, and insist on helping to ink up the blocks. I thought the water based Inks would be more child friendly. However, I'm not happy with the way the inks overprint each other, as its producing some rather unusual painterly effects. Unfortunately, not the sort of unusual effects that I wanted for this particular print. Looks like its back to the oil and grubby little finger prints all over the house.
In case you are wondering the image is of the two grain silos that stand beside the canal in Brighouse, my home town. Three colours down and another five to go; two greens, two browns and black.

No comments: