"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Tuesday 29 April 2014

Kittiwakes

Finished the Kittiwake Print


Kittiwakes at Braidcarr Point, Seahouses, Northumbria.
11 colour reduction Linocut.
170mm x 270mm
Edition of 9.
£110.00 unframed.

Started out with 10 prints but got sloppy with the registration on one of them so I'll have to make do with only 9 in the edition. It was my own fault, I was paying too much attention to the CD player and not enough to what I was doing. Now to get one framed up and ready for delivery to the Biscuit Factory in Newcastle for their Summer Exhibition. This should have been the last print to finish for this but I don't have to deliver them until a week on Saturday. So just maybe there is time to do one more. Providing I don't get too carried away with the number of colours.

This print is now available from my Folksy Shop here.

6 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

Nice. There are lots of scenes like that on the cliffs around here at the moment.

Sherrie York said...

Love this one, Stuart! Challenges of seabirds are fresh in my mind, and you've got them placed beautifully in the landscape. Or is that cliffscape? Whatever. Lovely.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Keith.

The print is based on a drawing made a couple of years ago but doing it has made me itchy to get back to the coast again. So I may have a trip over to Bempton to draw the Gannets.

Hi Sherrie

Thought this one might appeal to you.

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

I have been trying reduction linocuts with a press, but have had trouble with the registration. Do you have any tips for that? Or is it easier to register when hand printing?

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Lisa

Are you using a book press or rolling through an etching press. On the rare times I have used an etching press I have had trouble with the paper slipping as it has passed through the rollers. If you are using a bookbinding press or similar, try making a little jig from card with a window cut into it to sit your lino block into. Providing it is smaller in height than your lino block it shouldn't affect the printing.

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

Hi Stuart,
I was using an etching press with a jig, just as you suggested. But I guess I just didn't get the paper lined up very well or it does slip a little in the press.

Maybe I need to try it with hand printing. Thanks for the reply.