"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 6 May 2012

Lapwings



Spring Skydance-Lapwings
7 Colour Reduction Linocut. 270mm x 180mm. Edition of 8 Prints.

Prints 1 to 4 are printed on my usual Winsor and Newton Cartridge paper, prints 5 to 8 are printed on a batch of Hosho paper. Which when I last used it, I had a lot of trouble with it sticking to the block and then tearing. This time I managed to print on it without any problems. I still don't have enough confidence in it though to use it for an entire edition.

With the final dark the Lapwing print is finished and I can start on the second of my prints based on the theme of 'the dance'. The next print will have a much different atmosphere, slower movement and hopefully a calmer and more contemplative feel.

3 comments:

Jennifer Tetlow said...

Really stunning! It is a sight I see most days at the moment in the field above my workshop, with accompanying cries, wheezing and clatter of wings.

kirstallcreatures said...

Lovely work, I've enjoyed reading about your progress with this print.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Jennifer

Thanks for the comment. We have a few in the fields around here too.