"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 16 October 2011

Welsh Landscapes

Its been a busy couple of weeks printing. I needed a couple of prints for submission to the Royal Cambrian Academy in November so I've been looking through some old sketchbooks for possible ideas. I came up with two prints and while they are both ok prints, neither has that 'extra something' that I was looking for.

First is a print based on a watercolour colour sketch made on holiday a couple of years ago.


Dryslwyn Castle. 13 colour Reduction Linocut. Edition of 3.

I started out with 5 prints but lost 2 due to sloppy registration on the last colour. I'm reasonably pleased with the top half of the print especially the treatment of the hill with the castle and the background hillside but there is far more green in the print than I had originally intended.

Next is a print based on a sketch drawn just after I had left college.


Low Tide- Laugharne. 10 colour Reduction Linocut. Edition of 5.

This is better but the boats pulled up onto the mud don't really stand out much. I should have used them to introduce an accent of brighter colour.

I'm not sure at this stage if I will submit either of the prints, there is still time yet to try another subject.

2 comments:

Katka said...

Funny, I like all the green and probably like the top print a bit more than the bottom one because of the green.
But that goes to show how subjective someones response to art is.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Katka

For some reason I really struggle with green. I find it hard to mix the correct tone, wether painting or printing.