"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 14 August 2011

Art in the Pen

Just got back from Art in the Pen this weekend. A very enjoyable experience . For those of you unsure about the set up, this is what you get. The day before I arrived this was full of calves!


This was my first time at this event so I had spent quite a lot of time agonising over how I was going to hang the work. However, with the help of a few cable ties from Poundland the work was soon securely attached to the railings.



With 64 other artists and makers exhibiting there was a very diverse range of styles, techniques and subject matter on display. Although there were only about five other printmakers we all worked in different disciplines so avoided competing with each other. The artist in the next door pen was an etcher which was good,  between us we demonstrated both intaglio and relief printmaking techniques.

The weekend went very well and so I would like to say a big thank you to all the people who came and bought my prints. I had a great time meeting some very interesting people and some very talented artists. Check out the following :
www.braemoor.co.uk/ajc/
http://www.janisgoodman.co.uk/
http://www.janetbrownetextiles.com/

4 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

It's certainly a bit different and sounds good fun. Congratulations on your sales.

Jennifer Tetlow said...

Really interesting to hear about this, as I have thought I might show at this event myself. Delighted to hear sales were good!

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Keith. It certainly was a different sort of venue, but yes it was a lot of fun and I was surprised at the number of sales I achieved.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Jennifer, it could be a good event for you to show at. I will certainly be applying again next year. This is the first sort of event of this type that I have done so I had a big outlay to start off with to organise myself. But I still managed to cover all my costs and come away with a little profit. Next year I will have more idea about what to do. It was interesting to hear though that artists who have exhibited there in previous years thought that sales were slightly down this year.