"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 19 June 2011

New Linocut - First Colours

After the deliberations of last week I finally settled down to working on the next Linocut, in between mounting and framing my prints for the Calder Gallery Summer Print Exhibition in Hebden Bridge. See the link on the right. Everything is now all framed and packed ready to be taken to the gallery this coming friday. So for now at least I can concentrate on getting this print done, before I have to start preparing for the fast approaching Art in the Pen show at Skipton in August. Anyway, for now; colour 1.


....a pale cream colour. This is the Yorkshire Coast at Flamborough, so the cliffs here are Chalk rather than the Great Scar Limestone of the Yorkshire Dales. In bright sunshine they shine pure white with blue shadows, so I can't use any of  my 'dirty' limestone greys here if I want to retain that summer brightness. Next colour is a blue grey.



The second colour always looks like I've printed it too dark (sometimes I have!), but this time I think it should be ok. It may not be blue enough though. Next we'll start to warm things up a bit.


A bit of golden yellow for the beach.

No comments: