"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 13 March 2011

And now for something new

For the last few months I've been working on designs faster than I can get them printed. Normally I don't work on so many editions at once. My usual way of working is to finish a print and then start to think about what I am going to do next. Recently though I've had blocks ready to carve as soon as I've finished the previous print. However, this unusual burst of creativity isn't going to last, once this particular print is finished I haven't a clue as to what to do next.

This one is bigger than I usually do, and because the prints will not fit in my scanner I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with some dodgy photography for this set. So lets begin.

Colour 1. Linoblock and printed colour. A pale creamy yellow for some clouds and a bit of sand in the foreground. (Gary, if you are reading this you should begin to recognise the location).




Colour 2

A cool grey for the darker clouds and for the castle. However, once I had printed it I decided that the castle walls needed to be a warmer grey in the sunlit areas so I warmed up the same grey and printed colour 3 below.




Trust me it is a warmer grey, I know it doesn't look like it on this photo.


No comments: