"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 20 February 2011

Snowdrops

Fair Maids of February
4 Colour Reduction Linocut. 180mm x 118mm. Edition of 8.

Finished the Snowdrop print and in only four colours. I deliberately kept this much simpler in both design and the number of colours used. The next print on the way is something much more complicated. The title comes from an old country name for the flower.

2 comments:

Katka said...

Beautiful! Your print has a sort of oriental feel.

Coincidentally, I took some pictures of snow drops in our garden this past Sunday, thinking I might do a print one day.

But I can't imagine a lovelier rendition than yours.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Katka

You're right looking at it now, the print does have an oriental feel to it, although that wasn't intended. I was trying to give an impression of movement, I wanted to suggest the heads of the flowers dancing in a breeze. The background is darker than I intended though.