"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 19 September 2010

Working Drawings

For my next project I have gone back to some field sketches I did around 8 years ago of a Kingfisher beside the River Calder.

Kingfisher. River Calder at Brookfoot. 17th July 2002. Pen and Ink.

Kingfisher. River Calder at Brookfoot. 17th July 2002. Pen and Ink.

Kingfisher. River Calder at Brookfoot. 17th July 2010. Pen and Ink.

Then started to work around some compositions and colour separations. This is intended to be a bird report cover, so I want to balance accuracy with a prominent design.



From the thumbnail sketches I draw a full size cartoon before transferring it to the linoblock. Although at this stage I still haven't settled on the exact colour values for the vegetation around the bird.







No comments: