"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Wednesday 28 July 2010

On the Coble Landing-Filey

SH 218 on the Coble Landing-Filey
Reduction Linocut (10 colours). 181mm x 270mm.
Edition of 6.

Finally finished the Coble linocut. I'd printed colours 6 and 7 before I realised that I'd forgotten to photograph the stages. So I pressed on and printed the final colours. Like Hornsea, Filey doesn't have a harbour. So the boats are dragged up the beach by tractor and parked on the landing, well above the high tide line. The boats have a rugged simplicity of design, reputedly derived from the Viking longships. Originally they were fitted with a mast and sail, now however, most are powered by engines.

3 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

Another nice striking image Stuart. I've just noticed how effective the printing technique is for picking out the cobbled landing and waves.

Katka said...

Yes, another lovely print. I agree with Keith, the cobbled landing turned out extremely well.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Thanks to you both for the comments. Sorry for taking so long to respond but I've been away for a few days. I'm pleased with how the cobbles turned out, with hindsight I should have made more of them. But my main focus was on trying to capture the weathered paintwork of the boat.