"The artist...is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of a tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.




Sunday 8 November 2009

Pentre Ifan Burial Chamber, Pembrokeshire.

Pentre Ifan.
5 Colour Reduction Linocut. 270mm x 180mm.
Edition of 6.

For once I had a plan and stuck to it. I try to limit my prints to around 5 or 6 colours, but usually get carried away and end up printing them in around 9 or 10. So with this print I deliberately stuck to my original scheme to complete the print in 5 colours. Two oranges, two greys and black. This is the second of my two proposed submissions to the Royal Cambrian Academy Open Exhibition.

One of the best known Prehistoric monuments in West Wales, this Neolithic burial chamber was one of the first archaeological sites to be protected by the earliest Ancient Monuments Act of 1882. The 16 feet long capstone is supported almost 8 feet above the ground on three upright stones.

This viewpoint looking towards the west shows the rocky crag of Carn Ingli framed by the tomb. On its summit is one of the largest stone built Iron Age hillforts in Wales. The name derives from the latin mons angelorum meaning 'mountain of angels.'

2 comments:

Sherrie York said...

Stuart... I laughed out loud when I read the line "for once I had a plan and stuck to it." Perhaps we are twins separated at birth. Plan?!? What plan?!

This turned out GREAT... big drama and truly fine design. Makes me want to get back to work... I need to catch up!

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Sherrie,

Thanks for the comment. I was a bit unsure about the print at first, as I thought I'd made it a bit too stark by limiting the colours so much.